Join us for a 3-day workshop in the heart of Lakota Territory, South Dakota, USA
October 1-3, 2024
This workshop will teach leaders in government, industry and philanthropy new conceptual frameworks and strategies for building relationships with Indigenous Peoples that lead to mutually beneficial outcomes and advance our collective progress towards realized reconciliation.
The Indigenous Engagement Institute is a collaborative project by Gwen Bridge and James Rattling Leaf Senior. The workshop presents a unique opportunity for leaders to be part of our collective synergistic effort to improve Indigenous engagement.
The Indigenous Engagement Institute is a collaborative project by Gwen Bridge and James Rattling Leaf Senior. The workshop presents a unique opportunity for leaders to be part of our collective synergistic effort to improve corporate Indigenous engagement.
About the workshop
We will provide an extensive learning and cultural immersion environment over 3.5 days in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota, USA. The institute will fit you with the tools, skills, and knowledge to tackle the great North American challenge of reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations. Together, we will understand best practices, examples, and new conceptual frameworks for building relationships with Indigenous Peoples that lead to mutually beneficial outcomes and advance our collective progress toward realized reconciliation. By building capacity within yourselves and your organizations, you will be poised to be the change we want to see in the world.
This workshop is for leaders who:
- Need to lead their organizations into the challenges of reconciliation and seek to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Indigenous relations to achieve mutualistic outcomes.
- Are ready to tackle challenges of thinking differently, being creative, and developing and implementing solutions to the necessary and challenging economic and jurisdictional inequities which the United Nations on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action, and various US Government Policy on Indigenous Traditional Ecological Knowledge policies, task us to collectively solve.
- Envision a more equitable and sustainable society.
- Want to learn and support their teams in the development of practical strategies for improved Indigenous–non–Indigenous relations.
- Seek proactive productive solutions to responding to the challenges issued by Indigenous Peoples to develop opportunities for economic development, sustainability, equity and reconciliation.
Through this workshop participants will
- Gain knowledge and skills to develop more effective working relationships and partnerships with Indigenous peoples.
- More deeply understand Indigenous processes of developing agreements.
- More deeply understand Indigenous worldviews, including values, laws, protocols, societal structure, and what pragmatic steps in organizational change are needed to support the integration of these components into engagement strategy and organizational culture.
- Develop an engagement preparedness plan to be applied to their own professional and personal development and organizations.
- Expand networks with those also at the forefront of proactive, enlightened Indigenous engagement.
Interested in learning more about the Indigenous Engagement Institute?
Book at 15-minute discovery call with Gwen or James.
What makes this different from typical training?
We are not trainers. We are practitioners in this space, with on-the-ground, in-the-relationship knowledge. We have come together for this unique opportunity to bring our deep expertise from the USA and Canadian Indigenous experience in productive engagement to you. We will conduct our work grounded in a land and culture-based experience, providing experiential applied learning opportunities. We will share learnings built from over 50 combined years of praxis, knowledge contextually specific, and the skills that support systems change. You will come away connected with a network of engaged leaders on a journey of building relationships to improve collective ecological, economic, and socio-cultural outcomes. Cree, Lakota, and smelqmix cultural knowledge will be shared. We will be on the territory of the Lakota people and will have cultural experiences and knowledge sharing by local Elders and experts.
All Day Cultural Event - Lakota Cultural Ceremonial Experience
Welcoming Back the Thunders or similar
If the day synchronizes with Welcoming Back the Thunders – a ceremonial pilgrimage will be made with local guides and community. This will be a six-hour hike so please come prepared. If the day does not synchronize with Welcoming Back the Thunders an alternative equivalent cultural event will be offered with workshop participants welcomed by the local community to share in cultural traditions and ceremony.
This event will include a hike through a mountain trail, which has steep sections, may be snowy, wet or slippery, and take several hours. Food will be served, however no provisions can be made to accommodate dietary restrictions.
- food, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages
- workshops, ceremony
- guest speakers.
10619 Roughlock Falls Road,
October 1, 2024
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Cultural Showcase in the evening.
October 2, 2024
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Cultural Showcase in the evening.
October 3, 2024
8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
3 Days Early Bird (until June 1, 2024):
Accommodation, Meals, Snacks and Drinks are included.
Maximum of 25 attendees.
Participant cancellation up to August 4 will be at 50%. After August 4, there will be no cancellations or refunds. 50% credit may be applied to a future workshop if another is offered.
If the Event is unable to operate, whether due to Acts of God, force majeure, pandemic, epidemic, illness, public safety, fire or state of emergency, or because of any other occurrence out of our control, or otherwise, the Indigenous Engagement Institute may cancel, postpone or terminate the Event.
Gwen Bridge Consulting Ltd. waives any and all claims that may arise against the Indigenous Engagement Institute or Gwen Bridge Consulting Ltd. for damages or expenses and agrees to accept in complete settlement and discharge of all claims, a 100% fee refund.
This workshop is composed of an unfolding learning expansion, please plan to attend the entire session, if you’d still like to come but have to miss some time, connect with us to ensure we can accommodate your learning needs.
Review the most up-to-date information about Travel Canada restrictions related to COVID.
Register early, limited spaces available.
Complete the registration form and walk with us on indigenous knowledge and learning journey.